Saturday, November 22, 2008

Bite club



‘Twilight’ star Robert Pattinson sinks his teeth into vampire fame


Metromix
Published November 21 2008

In conversation, "Twilight" star and sudden mega-heartthrob Robert Pattinson frequently breaks into a giddy laugh. He can't believe he's become, seemingly overnight, the sort of actor who is loved by thousands of screaming girls.

You can't blame him for being a bit overwhelmed. The anticipation for the big-screen adaptation of Stephenie Meyer's hit novel--about immortal vampire Edward Cullen (Pattinson) and his star-crossed love Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart)--has passed "massive" on its way to "out of control."

Aside from the onslaught of posters, articles and interviews about the movie, teen girls are crowding malls--like they did last week in Orland Square--just for the chance to meet Pattinson, who was best known for his small role as Cedric Diggory in " Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire."

Pattinson says all the attention causes him to convulse and sweat profusely. RedEye talked to the 22-year-old English actor when he was in town a week ago about becoming a vampire, not washing his hair and whether he's really a "sexy man-beast."

Why do you think you stood out from the more than 5,000 others who auditioned to play Edward?
I think because a lot of people are willing to go in and play some kind of Adonis. And they have the body and everything. There's a lot of guys, especially in L.A., who can walk down the street and look like some kind of Greek god, statuesque guy. [And that's not me.] Especially not last year. I was like this chubby-looking ... I looked kind of like an old, Irish alcoholic.

Isn't that what the part called for?
[Laughs.] It absolutely called for that! I think they were getting desperate, so when I came [they said] "We're tired of looking; Let's take the next guy who walks in!" I think a lot of it was that. Yeah, how uncomfortable I felt trying to play this perfect guy, it kind of inspired my performance when I was in the room 'cause I had no idea how to play it. And I [was] this kind of broken, totally self-conscious person who hardly said anything. And I think they misinterpreted the whole thing, thinking I was this really intense, really passionate guy. And I just had no idea what I was doing.

So they saw you were scared and confused and said, "He's moody, dark and exciting!"
Yeah, that's the weird thing about it.

And now people online are saying, "This man is pure sex," or calling you "a sexy man-beast." How much of a sexy man-beast are you?
[Laughs.] I wouldn't be able to say. I don't think I'm much of one. It's funny, it is the secret to any guy--if people find him unattractive or whatever--you just get Stephenie Meyer to tell the world, to put on her Web site that this guy is now attractive and everybody changes their minds.

How long does it take to get your hair perfectly coiffed like that?
I just wear a hat a lot. I have so much residue crap in my hair from years and years and years of not washing it and not having any sense of personal hygiene whatsoever. ... Even today, I go into these things where I'm supposed to be this sexy guy or whatever, and I'm literally asking [the studio rep], "If I get plumes of dandruff on me, can you just brush it off?"

What did you learn by not washing your hair for six weeks?
That it starts to wash itself. If you don't wash it for six weeks you won't have to wash it ever again. Until it gets unbearable.

Edward's such a forbidden love for Bella. What would you say to parents who thought you were bad news for their daughter?
"You're right." And the girl would like [me] even more.

You're not trying to appeal to parents?
He's a vampire, he's a social pariah. He's not a role model. He's a parasite. That's the cool thing about it. I don't think a vampire has any responsibility to anybody.

What challenges would face a vampire in Chicago?
He can't eat any deep-pan pizza.

Vampires can't eat pizza?
They can't eat. So I would find that very, very difficult not to eat that. I'm planning on that tonight.

Gotcha. Last question: How much more comfortable would this interview have been if I was screaming and crying and trying to touch you?
It would have been a lot more comfortable. [Laughs] It would be standard.

No comments:

å