Sunday, November 23, 2008

Robert Pattinson talks 'Twilight'


By LOU GAUL
phillyBurbs.com

PHILADELPHIA — For Robert Pattinson, the incredible success of Stephenie Meyer’s four-book supernatural series (“Twilight,” “New Moon,” “Eclipse” and “Breaking Dawn”) seems to come down to one three-letter word.

Sex.

“To be honest, I’m not entirely sure (about the reason for the huge popularity of the books, which have sold 17 million copies worldwide),” Pattinson said during a press conference at the Four Seasons Hotel to promote the big-screen version of “Twilight,” which opens Nov. 21 and features the 22-year-old British actor as Edward, a handsome 17-year-old vampire. “I asked girls in Chicago (during a promotional appearance), ‘What do you see in Edward? Why are you attracted to him?’

“The unanimous response was, ‘Because he’s so sexy!’ I was kind of baffled by the whole thing. I guess in some ways it has to do with his chivalry, his gentlemanly manner.

“I think that’s it.”

Pattinson, who plays Cedric Diggory in “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” (2005) and “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” (2007), possesses a handsomeness layered with a slightly dangerous look. That was exactly what Meyer and director Catherine Hardwicke (“Thirteen”) were seeking to tell the author’s story about a new-girl-in-town, Bella (Kristen Stewart of “Into the Wild”), who becomes attracted to a dashing vampire.

Pattinson is working hard to keep his feet on the ground as the publicity for “Twilight” generates more and more interest in him.


“It (fame) is not going to my head, because I don’t really know what it is,” said the affable actor, who wore a white T-shirt and black jacket and pants. “It’s strange. You get treated differently by people in a brief period of time.”

According to Pattinson, reading the script for “Twilight,” budgeted at $37 million, convinced him to pursue the role.

“I definitely felt some connection to it (the material),” he said, “and I felt like I had a connection with Kristen. That relationship is the important thing to get across (in the film).

“You have to make sure there’s a separation between their relationship and everything else in the movie. I think that came across.”

Prior to filming, Pattinson didn’t know Stewart, and he feels being strangers resulted in a more realistic romantic tone.

“Neither of us really knew one another, and I think that really helped,” he said. “The more depth you give to the part, the more of your life becomes entwined in it and the more of yourself you see in the lines.”

Pattinson’s Edward is romantic in a vintage way, but the actor takes a more modern approach to matters of the heart.

“I don’t think I’m particularly old school,” he said. “I think his actual core is similar to me, and the essence of gentlemanliness, I guess, is not wanting to be an (expletive deleted).”

No comments:

å